Automatically Rotate in Tent mode and remapping keys?

Hi all, I installed EndeavourOS on my Acer Spin 713-3w (VOXEL) and mostly it’s ok but a few issues remain:

1. If I flip the laptop into tent mode, the screen doesn’t rotate.
    1b) If I flip the laptop into tablet mode, the keyboard doesn’t switch off.
  2. Is there a way to remap the Search key into a Caps Lock?
  3. Is there a way to switch off the touchscreen? Preferably not in X/Wayland but something more “permanent”.

Any help greatly appreciated!

You can remap any key to any key you want by editing the conf file in /etc/keyd

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look into that.

About the rotating, I noticed that most solutions for other laptops use a systemd service called iio-sensor-proxy.service
But I have no idea how to use it. That is, I know how to install it but how do i get the data from it to use it to rotate my screen?

Your desktop environment will usually ask iio-sensor-proxy for rotation data, and then rotate the screen accordingly. Not all of them support this though. You can also use monitor-sensor to get the data from a terminal.

Ok, I am running XFCE, I wonder if I have to to write a cron job that runs a script that checks that sensor and executes an xrand command to rotate the screen but it all sounds very convoluted to me.

It would be nice if XFCE (or any other desktop environment for that matter) had this builtin by now :thinking:

Only the big ones (GNOME, KDE) have that feature built in.

thanks WeirdTreeThing, I might raise a feature request though it’s highly unlikely there isn’t one already.

On disabling the touchscreen, my Dell XPS 13 has a setting to disable this in the proprietary BIOS. Would be nice if that would be a standard feature!

I did run some xinput command it wasn’t permanent and reverted back after a few minutes.

It’s looking dire for me: Automatic Screen Rotation - iio-sensor-proxy (#82) · Issues · Xfce / xfce4-settings · GitLab

Seems re-asking / upvoting for a feature isn’t appreciated in the XFCE community.

Though inside that topic is a link to PostmarketOS and they seems to provide a hack to do this:

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Auto-rotation

This is possible if you recompile the coreboot firmware with the touchscreen disabled. An easier option would be to blacklist the kernel module for the touchscreen.

My chromebook with 8th gen i3 intel and a meager 4GB runs very smooth on Fedora 40 with Gnome 46.

Your Acer has 11th gen i5 and ample 8GB memory. So you don’t need to worry at all about snappiness if you move to Gnome or KDE.

For the autorotation toggle on gnome you need to install an extension called Screen Rotate. Tablet mode lock also works.

Touchscreen lock is not a chromebook or wayland thingy I believe. Can’t find any gnome extension. You can make your own job by grabbing the touchscreen input with ‘evtest grab’.

hi ed61, thanks for your suggestion.

Yes my model actually has an i7 and 16gb. I can also replace the M.2 SSD and the screen is 3x2. I thought it was an incredible bargain as I paid less than 300 euro (including customs and shipping from the USA).

Strangely enough, I use XFCE by choice, and not for the supposedly low resources. For more than 10 years…
I tried KDE and Gnome but find them “glitsy” compared to XFCE. But scrolling through the XFCE forums I wonder if it’s time to switch. It looks like there is almost no bug fixing and development of new features (granted that is one of the grand ideas behind XFCE) But it seems the dev team is awfully quiet.

On another note: I didn’t expect running Linux on my purchase would be so hard. While I have used Linux for more than 20 years, even on a Cromebook (Acer C710, GalliumOS - should be very familiar here :slight_smile: - and it worked perfectly), I don’t want to spend time anymore on what I consider what should be trivial. For instance I also don’t have my microphone working and my dmesg is full of errors. It seems sound cards under Linux are the new wificards. </end rant>

Anyway, I am going to install KDE and see what happens.

Actually it sounds like you haven’t read the post install section of the docs.

After installation, none of my audio worked, I executed the post installation script(s) and it enabled playback. The script doubled the number of audio devices I can select (by prefixing the old ones with “Monitor of”). But I couldn’t get my microphone to work.

I’m in the middle of reinstalling, this time KDE. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Yeah I just thought that your dmesg errors might be related to the USB-C issue on Tiger Lake and Alder Lake Chromebooks.

OK in KDE things are better, there is a setting to switch off the touchscreen.
After running the postinstall scripts, audio output is working again and input seems to working now but very faint.
I wonder if executing the scripts in the right order matters? I think I enabled the USB-C patch first last time in XFCE.

I still have errors in dmesg but a lot less. This is the error that is repeated often:

[ 26.002679] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ipc tx error for 0x60010000 (msg/reply size: 108/20): -22
[ 26.002693] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: HW params ipc failed for stream 1
[ 26.002696] sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl 0000:00:1f.3: ASoC: error at snd_soc_pcm_component_hw_params on 0000:00:1f.3: -22

It seems to happen when sound is accessed. I will do some more research on this.

After installing iio-sensor-proxy my screen autorotates as well!
So a lot better. I think I will spend some time on configuring KDE now as I am confident the basics work under KDE.

Thank you all for your suggestions!