Samsung Chromebook 3's keyboard not working because the driver might be deleted. Advice?

I’m afraid I don’t know where to put this, but I need to ask this somewhere. I deleted ChromeOS off of my CELES (Samsung Chromebook 3) system and tried a few different operating systems. My major issue was that the built-in keyboard on the laptop stopped working, and that’s a HUGE problem because I can’t turn it on or off using the power button anymore and am at the mercy of the trackpad working and having either an onscreen keyboard or a USB/Bluetooth keyboard at my disposal at all times.

I didn’t backup the ChromeOS when I deleted it off of my laptop using the MrChromebox method because I didn’t care to use it ever again. Alas, it appears I needed the portion of it for the keyboard. Lesson learned, but anyways, I’d like to know where I can re-download the driver or whatever for the keyboard of this laptop to start working again. How can I start my search for that? Thank you.

Also, at this point in time, I have opted to revert to ChromeOS Flex since it seems less experimental for a janky system like this. In my defense, I bought this secondhand for $33 so I wasn’t looking for something flashy anyways and actually find this customization process educational and kind of fun, excluding this keyboard situation.

you seem to have leapt to a conclusion that has no technical basis whatsoever.

If your keyboard doesn’t work for the firmware menus, then it’s a firmware/hardware issue (ie, disconnected or torn cable).

If it works for the boot menu but not the OS, it’s an issue with that specific OS.

The keyboard drivers in ChromeOS have no effect on anything other than ChromeOS – that’s just not how OS drivers work.

@MrChromebox you have my sincerest of thanks. This entire time, I hadn’t realized it, but I had disconnected the cable that enabled my keyboard to work at all in the first place. I went back in and corrected the issue and am now typing right from my built-in keyboard. Thank you again for your help. Now that it appears this was never an OS issue to begin with, I think I’ll be switching back to a lighter OS like Peppermint, because this ChromeOS Flex thing is very heavy on my system’s storage and I don’t like it all that much. I wish you a wonderful day.

1 Like