Looking for daily driver

Hi there!

Can someone recommend me some chromebook models (with touchscreen) to daily drive linux on?
What I want is a machine to run linux on and not be forced to tinker with it daily.
I almost bought ELDRID (that thing is a beauty!) but I read on Elly’s mastodon that it has some xhci problems.

JINLON (HP Elite C1030) works very well, just no FPR. Any Cometlake devices should be pretty solid. Anything with Thunderbolt/USB4 is going to be a bit of a gamble

2 Likes

I’ve been running the Lenovo C13 Yoga with a Ryzen 5 chip as a living room laptop for surfing the net, and a buddy of mine runs it as a daily driver with Fedora 39 on it. Great build quality, the touchscreen works out of the box in Fedora and Arch, the NVMe is replaceable and recent builds from the lovely MrChromebox also have the trackpoint nub fully supported if you want to use it.

1 Like

I will say the same thing as MrChromebox, Jinlon is an amazing Chromebook to use an an ultrabook. I’ve been using a Jinlon as a daily driver running Fedora Silverblue / Kinoite for 4 months. No issues (besides no fingerprint Linux driver). I bought it for $169 on Wisetek Market.

2 Likes

I went with JINLON and it was a great choice.

Thanks!

Do you have working sound through speakers? I was able to get sound working in Ubuntu 24.04 after selecting a fallback device, but it’s still a bit wonky (speakers don’t show in gnome settings, etc.)

CML devices have working audio with a 6.x+ kernel and the chrultrabook audio setup script – see the docs for details

Yes. Speakers and mic work on Jinlon with WeirdTreeThing’s audio script (although the latest version of the script makes microphones in the headphone jack not work).