HP Elite Dragonfly - REDRIX

Hi,

Looking at the Coolstar support page for the HP Elite Dragonfly, REDRIX board, it states that the card reader doesn’t work, but it’s possible to make it work by installing the “Genesys Logic PCIE card reader device” driver.

I want to thank MrChromebox, Coolstar, and vibecoder9000 for all the work they’ve done to get this Chromebook perfectly functional on Windows 11 and Linux.

Indeed. The card reader driver is included in the 3rd-party-autoinstall from vibecoder linked in the Redrix page

I suppose the coolstar status page saying N/A for card reader for all Alder Lake boards is just outdated. There’s a changelog entry on MrChromebox 2509.2 indicating this is fairly recent:

Added support for Genesys Logic GL9750/9755 SD card controllers (still WIP)

There’s (possibly) a catch though: my Redrix logs PCIe errors coming from the card reader constantly, even while the reader is idle with no card inserted. Watch out the event viewer for those:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x57:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_17A0&DEV_9755&SUBSYS_975517A0&REV_01
Secondary Device Name:

It also refused to boot an existing Fedora install from a microSD, but I didn’t investigate further to see if that was really a card reader issue.

I’m keeping mine disabled in Windows Device Manager unless needed, just in case to avoid potential stability issues.

1 Like

After a few days of use I’ve noticed my HP Redrix is showing some weird behavior.

The battery drains completely even when the device is powered off (LED off).

Anyone else having this issue?

@jardelsf, I had this with my first install in this device, probably after updating all “recommended” drivers with SDIO.

Multiple issues, in fact: >2W drain while “off”, sometimes wouldn’t turn off or restart until forced, broken sleep, that’s what I remember. Something was not sleeping/shutting down properly.

My “fix” was booting straight to install media to do an OS reinstall after an EC batterycutoff (to unpower/reset everything so it starts afresh, just in case, not letting it boot the existing install, which was putting something on a bogus power state), then installing only coolstar and Intel drivers, disabling driver updates from Windows Update and not install anything from SDIO.

1 Like

Hello. Did you remove the Write Protection (WP) by disconnecting the battery, or did you use a “Suzy-Qable”?

Hello!

I used a Suzy-Q cable.

I reinstalled Windows 11 IoT.

Even without any drivers installed, it still completely drains the battery within a few hours after being shut down in Windows.

I have already done a clean install of Windows, disabled Modern Standby S0ix (leaving only S3), and disabled Windows Fast Startup. Nothing worked.

What I’ve been doing is, whenever I stop using Windows, I reboot into Linux and shut down from Linux. That way, the laptop can sit for days—even over a month—without losing battery charge.

I will try monitoring the CCD with the Suzy-Q cable and minicom to see if it generates any useful logs or information to help me solve this problem.

Thank you for this informative message. I had been undecided about switching to Windows, but what you said has clarified my thinking. It seems like installing Linux would be the better choice—or perhaps waiting for “Googlebooks” to be released? Maybe the computer will get an upgrade. What do you think? (Note: I am writing these messages by translating them, rather than using my native language.)

Hello,

No problem, English isn’t my native language either.

Linux has proven to be faster and more stable in daily use. I tested both Ubuntu and CachyOS.

Lately, I’ve been using CachyOS.

However, I’m having some issues on Linux as well. For example: tablet mode doesn’t work well, the screen doesn’t rotate, and the keyboard and touchpad aren’t disabled when switching the screen to tablet mode. I also couldn’t get the Intel IPU6 webcam to work on Linux. It works fine on Windows.