ALEENA - Acer CB315 Reboot after last part of Windows 11 initial install and screen is black

I have an Acer Chromebook CB315-2H. Installed mrchromebox firmware and have been running linux mint on it for years. Saw a thread which pointed to coolstar’s pages for installing Windows on this Chromebook. I saw where it is purely experimental for my board/cpu/model. I created a USB windows installation media via rufus letting it default to bypassing the windows 11 requirements, etc… It booted from this media and installed fine, then rebooted with the USB stick just fine into Windows 11. At what I think is the tail end of things the Windows 11 installation does (it asked me to set up my account, etc.) any subsequent boot results in a completely black screen - doesn’t even look like the backlight is on. I have to use the power button to “shutdown” then use the power button to get back to the jackrabbit boot screen. I thought perhaps it has to do with the video driver since it is a separate download but never get far enough to download that and install it.

Any ideas/thoughts for a COMPLETE novice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Stoney was purely experimental. It’s neither supported or recommended to use it.

That seems about right. Stoneyridge will hang for 40 minutes (iirc) at a black screen while trying to initialize the gpu driver. It’ll do that until you install the patched driver

As it turns out the Chromebook was overheating. I removed the back and installed. After getting all if the drivers installed i closed it up and it runs fine. I did expect it to run very slow and it does. Also for some reason it ate all 32gb of the emmc. For the heck of it i did a rufus windows to go install to a usb flash drive just to try that. It worked as well using a lot less storage and obviously VERY slow but it did work. Since i’m normally running Fedora linux from a microSD i may try a windows install to that to compare the speed of both from the same type of media.

Windows does require around 30GB of free space for a regular install.

If you want it to take up less space, use NTLite or install IoT LTSC.

to add, iot ltsc will be much smaller than ntlite, without the possibility of breaking things