2017 Pixelbook backlight control doesn't work with 7.1 kernel

System Details

  • Device: 2017 Google Pixelbook i5
  • OS: Arch using KDE Plasma 6.7.2 (Wayland via Kwin)
  • Firmware Type: RW_LEGACY
  • Firmware Version: Most up to date firmware available
  • Internal storage type: SSD

Summary of the Issue

The Pixelbook has pretty much full functionality with linux, except for two needed tweaks. Once is a chromebook audio script to run, and the other is backlight.

Adjusting the backlight (using the slider in KDE) does not work without editing your GRUB file and putting in this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œi915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1ā€

This ā€œfixā€ has worked with any flavor of linux. I have personally tested in Kubuntu, MX Linux, CachyOS, and now Arch.

The problem now is, something changed with the Linux 7.1 kernel where this doesn’t work anymore. Still works perfectly on 7.0.x kernel and below, but any 7.1 (or 7.2rc kernel) does not work and I’ve tried a million fixes, and nothing works. The million fixes include removing that line, changing the value to 0, 2, or 3.

Tried this, didn’t work: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œi915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1 i915.enable_psr=0 i915.enable_fbc=0ā€ Also tried GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œacpi_backlight=nativeā€

I have tried the software brightnessctl, making changes with it has no effect. Also tried the software gammastep, doesn’t work. And other ones like ā€œcolordā€ (I think that’s what it is called). NOTHING changes the brightness if using 7.1 or newer kernel.

Steps to Reproduce

  1. Install RW_LEGACY firmware on Pixelbook and any flavor of Linux with kernel 7.1 or higher.

  2. Edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œi915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1ā€ and update grub. This is the fix for backlight controls that works for kernel 7.0.x and lower.

  3. With 7.1 kernel or higher, this fix does not work, neither do any other known fixes for controlling backlight.

Expected Behavior

I should be able to use the slider in KDE for backlight/brightness and adjust the brightness, just as I can do with any kernel 7.0.x or lower. I have reached the conclusion that something changed in the 7.1 kernel, but have no idea on how to get this fixed. Or if it is even possible. Perhaps I am stuck just using 7.0.x and below on this device until EOL.

Thank you!!

Anyone? I’ve gone ahead and reported a regression to linux kernel devs/maintainers, but I thought perhaps someone here might have a fix beyond this or understand what changed in Linux 7.1.x kernel to cause this, so it can be fixed on our end. If it has to be a kernel dev fix, then so be it. Thanks.

not sure there are a ton of folks here using this device

There are dozens of us! Or at least two of us.

I’ve found two reddit posts and an Arch posts in addition to this one. All the same poster?

Don’t know…are you also having this issue with Kernel 7.1.x or higher?

Yes. I’m running Ultramarine on the Pixelbook and the problem started just before updating to release 44. Unfortunately the backup kernel is also 7.1.x. The recent update to 7.1.4 did not resolve it.

1.) Please report the regression to [email protected]. I think the linux devs seem to think my issue is a one off, but it’s obviously not. It’s still not working on linux mainline 7.2.x either.

2.) They had asked me to run a git bisect to find the offending commit, which I did, shown below. Doesn’t seem like they want to accept that this commit broke the backlight control functionality.

b3793af3277f65d256d67f9949e760b434ff66dd is the first ā€˜bad’ commit
commit b3793af3277f65d256d67f9949e760b434ff66dd
Merge: 51cc1c427461 88919bedabb8
Author: Jiri Kosina <[email protected]>
Date: Thu Apr 16 21:08:14 2026 +0200

Merge branch ā€˜for-7.1/intel-thc’ into for-linus

  • power management improvements to intel-thc-hid driver (Even Xu)

drivers/hid/intel-thc-hid/intel-quickspi/pci-quickspi.c | 16 +++++++++±-----
drivers/hid/intel-thc-hid/intel-thc/intel-thc-dev.c | 47
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/hid/intel-thc-hid/intel-thc/intel-thc-hw.h | 4 ++++
3 files changed, 61 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

Device model: Google Pixelbook 2017 i7 (EVE)
OS: Fedora 44 KDE
Kernel: 7.1.4
Firmware: mrchromebox uefi full rom

I don’t have much to add to this conversation besides a report that I’m experiencing the same issue after a recent system update–adjusting the brightness slider in the KDE ui doesn’t affect the physical display brightness. I’ve tried restarting and updating the system, as well as that trick about updating the line in the grub file, to no avail.

I have a couple of questions if someone is willing to answer:

  1. Do you think this has much to do with mrchromebox firmware or is it most likely a linux issue that just happens to be affecting this device running mrchromebox firmware?
  2. The only options right now are to rollback the kernel to 7.0.x or less according to op, or wait for some kind of fix, is that right?

Please report the regression to [email protected].

As I said above, the linux devs introduced a change into 7.1.x and further that messed this up. I don’t think it’s a firmware issue, it’s literally a linux dev issue (I did the dirty work with the git bisect and found the offending commit FFS!) and they can fix it. We just need everyone with this issue to email [email protected] and report the issue. The more people that report it, the better chance that they will do something about it.

For my temp fix, I’m using the LTS kernel, which is still 6.18.x, so it the backlight control works just fine (with the well known grub edit).

1 Like

I reported it and they pointed me to this fix that has already been merged for 7.2.x.

I built master on commit 3dab139d4795 and the display brightness is adjusting fine.
The kernel version is reported as 7.2.0-rc4-custom.

1 Like

This is great news!!

Do you still need your grub file to have this edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œi915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1ā€

Or does it work without it?

I’ve never needed to have that.

I did add it in when this started with 7.1, but took it out before trying the other kernels.

Strange, because I’ve always needed that ever since I put Linux on Pixelbook in 2023. Thanks.

This is what I have.
The iomem was added recently to allow updates to the mrchromebox UEFI firmware.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet pcie_aspm=off iomem=relaxed"

isn’t needed anymore, fixed in firmware a few releases back

Using the latest linux mainline (7.2-rc5), my backlight works again too. But I still had this in my GRUB line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=ā€œi915.enable_dpcd_backlight=1ā€

Don’t know if I need it, but as long as it works, I’m keeping it there.

The latest Fedora updates included a 7.2 kernel.
I’ve updated to that and the backlight issue is resolved.

Kernel Version: 7.2.4-200.fc44.x86_64 (64-bit)