Chromebook refuses to consistently suspend across different distros

Quick update with some more data points.

I swapped the SSD and installed Windows 10 to see if this was Linux-specific. On Windows 10, when I manually put the device to sleep, the screen goes black but the backlight never turns off, and it doesn’t appear to enter a real low-power state.

I also tried toggling the EC-related settings in the BIOS (EC Software Sync and Use EC-RW Firmware) and it made no difference.

I found at least one other report that looks very similar:

So it seems like at least these Alderlake/Alderlake-N boards are affected:

  • REDRIX (HP Elite Dragonfly Chromebook)
  • MARASOV (ASUS Chromebook Plus CX34)
  • PUJJO (Lenovo 500e Yoga Chromebook Gen 4 / Lenovo Flex 3i Chromebook 12" / IdeaPad Flex 3i Chromebook 12")

Given that suspend is failing in both Linux and Windows across multiple distros/installs, this is starting to look like a firmware/EC issue on these boards.